Protein is a major player in the healthy growth and functioning of cells, tissues, and organs throughout your body. Apart from water, protein is the most abundant substance in your body.
Eating protein chases away hunger by balancing the hormones of metabolism. It also helps your body become more sensitive to the hormones that tell you when you are full and should stop eating.
Protein also helps stabilize your blood sugar and prevent energy crashes. And because of how it is metabolized, protein actually speeds up weight loss.
As if all of that weren’t enough to convince you of the importance of eating enough protein everyday, consider this: getting adequate protein improves energy, cognition and focus by fueling optimal brain function.
So how much protein should you eat for vibrant health and longevity?
Most people need an average of 45 to 100 grams of dietary protein daily, depending upon their size and metabolic demands.
For some, the prospect of needing to eat that much protein each day may be daunting. However, remember that animal foods are not the only source of protein. Nuts, seeds, vegetarian protein powders, and greens can also add a significant amount of protein to your diet.
To help you get started incorporating more protein in your diet in a really easy and delicious way, here is a recipe from NY Times bestselling author, registered nurse, highly respected health and fitness expert, and nationally renowned speaker, Tana Amen, BSN, RN.
Very Omega Cherry Smoothie
- 1 cup organic pitted cherries, frozen
- 8 ounces almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2–3 kale leaves
- ¼ cup raw pecans or other nuts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 scoop sugar-free Omni Protein Powder (chocolate or vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried greens
- 1 dropper full vanilla crème–flavored liquid stevia
- bee pollen
- aloe gel
- Add all ingredients to blender bowl.
- Turn blender on low at first, then increase speed.
- Add additional water or almond milk as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour into glasses and serve cold.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING
320 calories ▪ 25g protein ▪ 29g carbohydrates ▪ 8g sugar ▪ 9g fiber ▪ 16g fat
1g saturated fat ▪ 0.0mg cholesterol ▪ 129mg sodium