Celebrating Valentine’s Day With Brain Healthy Desserts
Two seemingly decadent treats, coconut and chocolate, have gotten such a bum rap, many people avoid them. Don’t do it. First and contrary to popular opinion, coconuts are not considered fruits, but seeds. And hundreds of studies have explored and proven that coconut meat is chock-full of brain-healthy fatty acids in abundance.
Coconuts are actually so nutritious Amen Clinics consider them a super-food – one that nourishes your brain and body, satiating hunger with healthy fats, protein and fiber. Although we know that the saturated fat in animal foods is dangerous for the cardiovascular system, the saturated fat in coconut is quite different than that in animal-based foods.
The coconut got its name from early Spanish explorers who used the word “coco” (which means “monkey face”), and they contain ample water, protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids for people to live on.
The only thing more decadent and delicious than noshing on coconuts or using coconut oil to cook with is combining the mood-altering combination of both coconuts and chocolate.
Although smashing through the coconut’s rough outer shell may seem daunting, here are several ways coconut oils and organic coconut may enhance your health:
- Specific fats in raw coconut may promote a healthy body weight and help you shed unwanted pounds
- One cup of raw, shredded coconut yields about 7-8 grams of fill-you-up-fiber
- Some of the unique fatty acids in coconuts (including capric and lauric fatty acids) are antibacterial and antiviral, helping to bolster your immune system
- Coconut packs electrolyte-type minerals (like manganese and potassium) that make it a perfect pre- and post-workout fuel
- Coconuts may be good for bone health because it contains levels of calcium, iron and folate
- Veterans Day: One Warrior Shares Some of the Best Ways to Heal from Trauma - November 2, 2023
- Could Your Mood Issues Be Linked to a Pain In the Neck? - October 13, 2023
- What’s At the Root of Your Sciatic Nerve Pain? - September 20, 2023