What Supplements Can Help Me Get Better Sleep?
How much sleep did you get last night?
Though not the best conversation starter, that question is extremely important. And the ramifications of the answer can have far-reaching consequences for your overall health.
According to the Institute of Medicine, (US) Committee on Sleep Medicine and Research, as many as 70 million Americans have serious sleep problems, which can interfere with daily functioning. Unfortunately, sleep issues are progressively getting worse with the proliferation of gadgets and bad habits.
Getting inadequate sleep has been associated with lowered brain efficiency, which can negatively affect your:
- Mental focus
Anything that disrupts your natural sleep pattern, like excessive caffeine, alcohol or video game playing, can have adverse effects on your ability to effectively perform tasks at work, school or home. Insufficient and inconsistent sleep can increase irritability, moodiness and poor judgment. To remain at the top of your game, it’s recommended that you get between 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
Get the Rest You Need
Since sleep is one of the most important factors of brain health, BrainMD developed a selection of calming, relaxing, and sleep-inducing supplements that contain the best-utilized, ultra-pure nutrients and herbal ingredients to help you wind down at the end of a busy day. Whether you’re looking for a supplement to help you sleep through the night or just to help you fall asleep, our supplements are non-habit forming and will help you get better sleep.
GABA Calming Support
GABA Calming Support is a unique combination of clinically proven ingredients that can help you cope with restlessness, irritability and other challenges associated with occasional anxiety. It contains ingredients that help your nerve cells respond better to GABA. This formula can help calm your racing thoughts to help prepare you for sleep; it doesn’t cause drowsiness, so it’s safe to take during the day. It includes:
- GABA – gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is the body’s main calming neurotransmitter. It supports the body’s natural mechanisms for quieting the mind and gradually falling asleep.
- L-Theanine – working mainly by way of GABA receptors on nerve cells, this unique amino acid can have calming and relaxing effects while preserving mental focus.
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) – a member of the mint family that has been used as a medicinal herb for over 2000 years, lemon balm increases GABA activity in the brain as well as the activity of acetylcholine, a major neurotransmitter that promotes mental focus.
- Magnesium – magnesium plays important roles in mind and body relaxation, the calming of racing thoughts, and in promoting overall sleep quality. Research suggests that magnesium’s calming effects are enhanced by vitamin B6.
- Vitamin B6 – also known as pyridoxine and pyridoxal-5-phosphate, vitamin B6 helps the brain produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, which helps promote relaxation and enhance your mood.
GABA Calming Support can help facilitate the production of calming brain waves, correct stress-causing nutritional deficiencies, and promote relaxation.
Magnesium is a mineral nutrient essential for over 300 enzymes and is fundamental to your health. Sadly, due to the Standard American Diet (SAD), magnesium is one of the minerals most people typically don’t get enough of in the foods they eat. BrainMD’s Magnesium Chewables are sugar-free and have a delicious citrus flavor. Each tablet provides 150 milligrams of magnesium, more than one-third of your daily requirement. These chewable vitamins include:
- Magnesium – the three magnesium compounds (magnesium citrate, magnesium malate, and magnesium glycinate) are pre-activated and ready for use by the brain and other organs. These magnesium compounds are well tolerated, safe to take long-term, and can be used by people of all ages.
Magnesium Chewables tablets help your muscles and your mind relax, promote positive mood and calm, and help you get quality sleep.
Restful Sleep contains the body’s own sleep hormone melatonin to get you to sleep and keep you asleep through the night. It also includes the calming neurotransmitter GABA, as well as magnesium, vitamin B6 and valerian. Together, these nutrients produce a soothing effect that can help ease you into a peaceful sleep. These capsules include:
- Vitamin B6 – vitamin B6 helps with the production of neurotransmitters (serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, GABA), which need to be balanced for healthy sleep.
- Magnesium – sometimes called “the relaxation mineral,” magnesium plays an important role in energy production that helps with muscle relaxation, in lowering stress hormone production via the HPA (hypothalamus-pituitary axis), and in enhancing GABA action to allow for sleep. Magnesium helps calm the mind and enhance overall sleep quality.
- GABA – GABA is the major neurotransmitter for inducing calm by inhibiting excessive firing of neurons.
- Valerian – an herb used traditionally for centuries for its calming and sleep-inducing effects, valerian contains GABA and may also work closely with brain GABA receptors to help calm brain activity. It supports deep, restful, quality sleep.
- Melatonin – melatonin is the hormone naturally produced by the brain to initiate sleep and carry you through your daily sleep/wake cycle. It promotes restful sleep and healthy sleep patterns.
Restful Sleep eases you to sleep and helps you stay asleep all night so you can wake up feeling refreshed in the morning.
Serotonin Mood Support
Taking BrainMD’s Serotonin Mood Support can help correct stress-related nutritional deficiencies, promote positive mood, and help curb emotional eating. It can help you handle the ups and downs of life with more composure. This formula supports important brain neurotransmitter systems that positively influence mood. Its ingredients include:
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) – this nutrient is readily converted to serotonin, the neurotransmitter that is a major mood regulator. Serotonin circuits may also increase the activity of dopamine, also associated with positive mood.
- Vitamin B6 – vitamin B6 is needed by the enzyme that converts 5-HTP to serotonin, as well as for making dopamine. It is also essential for the body to utilize proteins, fats and carbs.
- Methylfolate – methylfolate is the most active form of the folate vitamin, which is crucial for maintaining positive mood. Methylfolate is pre-activated folate and is better utilized than folic acid, which is a manufactured substance not found in nature. Methylfolate bypasses the common mutation called C677T, which folic acid cannot do.
- Vitamin B12 as Methyl-cobalamin – the body’s most readily-utilized vitamin B12, not cyano-cobalamin which contains toxic cyanide. This formula has sufficient methyl-B12, which backs up methylfolate in the brain and other organs, to ensure neurotransmitter balance favorable to healthy mood.
- Saffron – the world’s most expensive spice, saffron has a long history of being used to induce happiness and has consistently improved mood, stress, and other mental functions in many clinical trials.
Lifestyle habits such as mind-body relaxation techniques, healthy dietary routines and daily use of Serotonin Mood Support, can work together to elevate mood and promote restful sleep.
At BrainMD, we’re committed to promoting, optimizing, and supporting brain health naturally. Using the most rigorous criteria for selecting the highest quality nutrients, we offer a line of ultra-pure, brain-directed, and clinical strength supplements that can improve the quality of your sleep.
For more information about our sleep products, and our full catalog of supplements, please visit us at BrainMD.
Keith is grateful to have the opportunity to write about supplements since many of them have made a dramatic difference in his life. He is often heard around the office saying, “We have supplements for that.”
Latest posts by Keith Rowe (see all)
- 8 Healthy Halloween Treats Your Kids Will Love (Non-Candy) - October 21, 2019
- Is Dark Chocolate Really Good for Your Brain? - October 14, 2019
- 10 of the Best Natural Cold and Flu Remedies - October 7, 2019