The end of mental illness begins with a revolution in brain health.
Though the incidence of conditions like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorders, addictions, PTSD, and ADHD is skyrocketing, standard treatment and success rates in treating these conditions have barely changed in the last seven decades. Meanwhile, the stigma of “mental illness” prevents many people from getting the help they need.
Based on his brain-imaging work at Amen Clinics, with more than 170,000 scans on patients from 121 countries, neuroscientist and psychiatrist Daniel Amen, MD, has learned that most psychiatric illnesses are not mental health issues at all. Rather, they are brain health issues that steal your mind. This one idea changes everything:
Get your brain right and your mind will follow.
In The End of Mental Illness, Dr. Amen challenges an outdated psychiatric paradigm and helps readers improve the health of their own brains, minimizing or reversing conditions that may be preventing them from living full and emotionally healthy lives.
- what is causing the epidemic rise of mental health issues and how to prevent them
- why standard treatments often fail, and why diagnosing and treating patients based on symptoms alone often misses the true cause of those symptoms, resulting in poor outcomes
- simple things you can do to heal your brain and improve your mood, focus, energy, and overall sense of happiness
The End of Mental Illness gives you the power to strengthen your brain to improve your mind.
From the flap:
There is new hope for those dealing with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorders, PTSD, ADHD, and addictions.
An evidence-based revolution in the diagnosis and treatment of these conditions is improving outcomes for the first time in decades, and Daniel Amen, MD, neuroscientist and double board–certified psychiatrist, is helping to lead the charge.
In The End of Mental Illness, Dr. Amen explains why you no longer have to rely solely on standard treatments offered by experts trained according to an old paradigm. While medication and talk therapy are sometimes helpful and appropriate, there is much you can do to improve your own brain health. And more and more practitioners are using evidence-based neuroscience to help their patients.
The End of Mental Illness will:
- give you hope that we are on the cusp of a whole new paradigm of treating issues like depression, anxiety, ADHD, bipolar disorder, personality disorders, and even schizophrenia
- explain why standard treatment may not have helped you or a loved one be healed, or truly healed for the long-term
- teach you how to contribute to your own brain healing and prevent or reverse the problems that are stealing your mind
- show you how to keep your brain healthy or rescue it if it’s headed toward a dark place
Get your brain right and your mind will follow!
Daniel G. Amen, MD, is a physician, a double board–certified psychiatrist, the founder of Amen Clinics, a 10-time New York Times bestselling author, and the recipient of the John Maxwell Transformational Leadership Award for 2019. Dr. Amen has written, produced, and hosted 14 popular public television shows about the brain that have aired more than 110,000 times across North America. He has spoken for the National Security Agency, and his work has been featured in outlets including Newsweek, Time magazine, HuffPost, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and Men’s Health.