How to Achieve Restful Sleep With GABA
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a natural, mental, and physical “off” switch to downshift your brain and body at the end of the day? In these stressful times, relaxation and restful sleep are more important than ever to well-being.
If you’re feeling stressed out or are unable to unwind, instead of turning to a glass of wine, refined carbohydrates – or worse, prescription medication – consider healthier ways to unlock your body’s natural ability to remain calm.
One healthy way to promote R&R is to get more of the amino acid gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) into your diet through foods or supplementation. Think of GABA as a calm balm for both the mind and body.
Here’s how it works.
GABA for Sleep and Relaxation
GABA is naturally produced within the body, where it functions as a neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters are the brain’s messengers, which move from one neuron to another to relay information. Some neurotransmitters induce activity while others inhibit activity. GABA is the key inhibitory transmitter of the brain.
What does that mean?
GABA helps to slow down your brain’s neuron activity and decreases activity in the central nervous system. In other words, it helps to calm worrisome, ruminating thoughts, as well as balance mood, alleviate painful sensations and relax the body.
Supporting healthy sleep with GABA supplementation has gained traction in recent years.
What the Research Says
Though research on GABA supplementation and sleep is limited, some scientific studies indicate promising results. One study showed that subjects who took GABA fell asleep more quickly and enjoyed better sleep quality.
GABA has mild relaxation properties that support a balanced mood and restful sleep. Lower activity of this neurotransmitter in some brain regions has been linked to mood challenges, difficulties with self-control, and excessive worry.
How to Increase GABA
You can eat GABA-rich foods and/or take GABA supplements to help support your body’s ability to unwind.
The best way to get GABA in your diet is to eat an abundance of the plant foods that contain GABA. What’s more, the foods that contain GABA are also highly nutritious. You’ll be supporting your overall health and your body’s relaxation mechanisms at the same time!
GABA-rich foods include cruciferous vegetables, beans, peas, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, sprouted grains, rice (particularly brown rice), and chestnuts. Also, enjoy fermented foods (kefir, yogurt, tempeh, kimchi, etc.) and oolong and white teas, which all naturally contain GABA.
A simple and easy way to ensure you get plenty of GABA is through supplementation. If you have difficulties entering a relaxed state before bedtime, you might consider taking GABA.
GABA Calming Support
GABA Calming Support is a unique combination of clinically proven ingredients that can help you cope with restlessness, irritability, and other challenges associated with occasional anxiety. This formula can help calm your racing thoughts to help prepare you for sleep; it doesn’t cause drowsiness, so it’s safe to take during the day. It includes:
- GABA – by slowing the excessive firing of neurons, it supports the body’s natural mechanisms for quieting the mind and gradually falling asleep.
- L-Theanine – working mainly by way of GABA receptors on nerve cells, this unique amino acid can have calming and relaxing effects while preserving mental focus.
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) – a member of the mint family that has been used as a medicinal herb for over 2000 years, lemon balm increases GABA activity in the brain as well as the activity of acetylcholine, a major neurotransmitter that promotes mental focus.
- Magnesium – sometimes called the relaxation mineral, magnesium plays important roles in mind and body relaxation, the calming of racing thoughts, and in promoting overall sleep quality.
- Vitamin B6 – also known as pyridoxine and pyridoxal-5-phosphate, vitamin B6 helps the brain produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, which helps promote relaxation and enhance mood.
This formula can help facilitate the production of calming brain waves, correct stress-causing nutritional deficiencies, and promote relaxation.
GABA Calming Support is a natural sleep aid that has helped countless people get quality sleep and can help you too!
At BrainMD, we’re dedicated to providing the highest purity nutrients to improve your physical health and overall well-being. For more information about GABA Calming Support and our full list of brain healthy supplements, please visit us at BrainMD.