7 Ways to Increase Dopamine, Focus, and Energy
How to Increase Dopamine Naturally
Do you feel like you don’t have enough energy to get through the day? Is it hard to finish things once you’ve started them? Are you easily distracted? Do you find it hard to concentrate? Have you lost your zest for life?
If you answered yes to any of these, you may have a deficiency and need to increase dopamine levels.
What is Dopamine?
Dopamine is one of over one hundred neurotransmitters in the human brain. It is the main brain chemical messenger responsible for making us feel motivated. Dopamine delivers a sense of satisfaction in our mind after accomplishing a task. It also is released when playing sports, learning something new, finishing a task or project, or getting the big promotion you wanted at work.
Often called the “motivation molecule,” dopamine provides the drive and focus we all need in order to be productive. It is heavily involved with our attention span, focus, follow-through, motivation, and the ability to experience pleasure.
However, if we are deficient in dopamine levels, this can cause some imbalance in our life. A lack of dopamine is associated with the following consequences:
- Lack of focus
- Difficulty concentrating
- Sugar cravings
- Lower motivation
Dopamine-dominant people are usually focused go-getters. Unfortunately, many of the things that people do to boost their focus and energy end up backfiring. There are many unhealthy ways to seek out a “dopamine fix.” For example, anything addicting like nicotine, caffeine, and sugar-laden, fat-filled treats are all very effective at increasing dopamine levels and can, in turn, be the root cause of addictive behavior in our life.
However, these things that provide a quick boost end up disrupting the natural dopamine production process resulting in decreased dopamine production in the long-term.
7 Ways to Boost Dopamine
So, what are some safe, healthy, natural ways to boost your dopamine levels you may ask? Here are the top 7 ways to increase dopamine naturally:
1. Eat foods rich in Tyrosine. In order to make dopamine, your body needs tyrosine which can be found in almonds, bananas, avocados, eggs, beans, fish, and chicken.
2. Exercise regularly. In general, physical exercise is one of the best things you can do for your brain. It increases the production of new brain cells, slows down brain cell aging, can increase your levels of dopamine. Exercise has also been associated with improved mood and overall a better outlook on life.
3. Learn to meditate. The overall health benefits of meditation have been demonstrated through hundreds of research studies. Many of those have shown that meditation increases dopamine leading to improved focus and concentration. Even if you’re new to meditation, there are many helpful guided meditations for beginners to help you get started. Check out Dr. Amen’s podcast on the positive benefits of meditation for our brains.
4. Get a massage. It has long been suggested that one way to keep dopamine levels high is to avoid stress, which is nearly impossible in this day and age. To counter the effects of stress, research has demonstrated that massage therapy increases dopamine levels by nearly 30% while decreasing cortisol (a stress hormone) levels.
5. Sleep. To ensure that your brain increases dopamine naturally, you’ll want to make sure that you’re getting enough sleep. This includes setting aside time before bed away from the computer or TV screen. Sleep helps all the cells in the body repair and renew. It gives the brain a chance to wash away toxins that build up during the day and helps keep the nerve cell connections and pathways active and constantly self-renewing. Lack of sleep has been shown to reduce concentrations of neurotransmitters, including dopamine, and their receptors.
6. Listen to music. It is no surprise that listening to calming music can increase pleasurable feelings, improve mood, reduce stress, and help with focus and concentration. Research has demonstrated that much of this is achieved due to an increase in dopamine levels.
7. Supplements. BrainMD’s Focus and Energy is a multiple mechanism formula containing three special adaptogens known to promote healthy dopamine levels. Ashwagandha, rhodiola, and panax ginseng are combined with decaffeinated green tea and choline to promote improved focus and increased energy while enhancing endurance and stamina. Focus & Energy is safe, natural and non-habit forming. The perfect way naturally increase dopamine levels to feel help you feel energized, productive, and alert.
Try this natural energy supplement for yourself, for free! BrainMD offers a free 7-day trial of Focus & Energy.
At BrainMD, we’re committed to promoting, optimizing, and supporting brain health naturally. Using the most rigorous criteria for selecting the highest quality nutrients, we offer a line of ultra-pure, brain-directed, and clinical strength supplements that can help to improve, preserve and boost your memory.
For more information about Focus & Energy and our full list of supplements, visit us at BrainMD.
- Tips from a Pro: Here’s How to Play “Brain Smart” Golf - April 14, 2022
- How to Be Less Stressed & Feel Happier Each Day - May 22, 2020
- 7 Ways to Help Your Kids Thrive While Staying at Home - April 17, 2020
These are some of the easiest ways of enhancing concentration I have ever read about. You make it sound so simple, I wonder why I have never made a conscious effort to take care of my brain. I would love to try them out. In my research, I also came across the blessed black seed oil and I am hoping to add that to my list
if you guys provide me with valid citations i will send this post to 100 friends of mine! 🙂
Can you please email me a coupon code for a discount to purchase your focus and energy? I just want to try it out one time for now.
Hello, We have a 7-day free trial available for Focus & Energy that you can try out and cancel anytime! Learn More about it here: https://www.brainmdhealth.com/free-trial/focus-energy-trial/
I like your list. It showes the importance of exercise and healthy nutrition in order to increase dopamine levels. In addition to adding new experienecs to your life, following a healthy nutrition plan, with or without natural brain supplements, will certainly result in dopamine increase to the brain, thus having the feeling of happiness and relaxation. Thanks again
Best tips for increasing dopamine level, Particularly regular exercise is most important means to boost dopamine. We all at some phase in life undergo situations where we feel lack of energy, demotivated and lost will. We never know these are caused by chemical imbalances in our brain and so avoid any medical treatment thinking that as a behavioural changes. Many of us are Lucky enough to have good flow dopamine making them more focussed and dedicated towards their work.
How much is the focus and energy tablets?
Here’s a link to the Focus and Energy page on the BrainMD website. Hope this helps.
Can I take rhodiola and ginkgo biloba together?
I am so impressed with the Dopamine information.
I have a question, Does Dopamine makes any impact on Autism kids?
I have Autism son who is 3+ years old, he is diagnosed with moderate ASD.
I am looking to find any better solutions that I can make him better.
Can anyone please suggest me.
Can theses supplements be taken with blood thinner plavix
I am taking Apixanban tablets twice in a day, can supplements like Tyrosine be safely taken