What Are the Best Benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushrooms?
Mushrooms have been used for their medicinal benefits for centuries.
They’re also a unique food that can add flavor and texture to a wide variety of meals.
One of the health benefits of certain mushrooms is that they contain adaptogens.
Adaptogens? Tell Me More…
According to the Cleveland Clinic, “Adaptogens are plants and mushrooms that help your body respond to stress, anxiety, fatigue, and overall wellbeing. You can take adaptogens by adding them to food or beverages or take them as tinctures. Adaptogens bring your body back to a steady balance by managing both physical and mental stressors.”
Unlike some mushrooms found in the wild, adaptogenic mushrooms aren’t hallucinogenic in nature. But they can help increase focus and reduce the negative effects of stress.
One of the most widely revered adaptogenic mushrooms is lion’s mane…
What Are Lion’s Mane Mushrooms?
Perhaps due to its name or white, stringy appearance, lion’s mane (Hericium erinaceus) is one of the most well-known mushrooms in the world. In Asia and India, these mushrooms have been used in foods and medicines for thousands of years.
Leading all other mushrooms in brain benefits, lion’s mane contains unique hericenones and erinacines, which can increase nerve growth factor (NGF) in the brain. NGF supports nerve cell maintenance and survival, especially in acetylcholine circuits, which are required for focus, memory, and nervous system control of the organs.
Additionally, lion’s mane consumption may increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which can help support the synthesis of new neurons. Decreased levels of BDNF may increase susceptibility to stress and mood issues.
Benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushrooms
Lion’s mane mushrooms may help:
- prevent cognitive decline
- relieve mood issues
- reduce the risk of serious heart issues
- manage blood sugar levels
- protect against inflammation and oxidative stress
- support the immune system
Additionally, its glucans may support antioxidant defense, stomach health, and beneficial bacterial balance in the gut.
How to Use Lion’s Mane Mushrooms in Foods
Lion’s mane is a rich-tasting mushroom with a similar consistency to meat or lobster. It can be used in many main dishes, soups, or salads. Some healthy recipes even substitute lion’s mane for steak, liver, and crab.
Try this recipe for roasted lion’s mane mushrooms.
Lion’s Mane in Supplements
If you dislike the taste or texture of mushrooms, adding mushroom powder to your coffee, smoothie, or other beverage might be the way to go.
You’ll find a generous helping of lion’s mane mushrooms in BrainMD’s…
Smart Mushrooms: Lion’s Mane + 5 Other Superfood Mushrooms!
Smart Mushrooms is firmly grounded in the most recent clinical and scientific research on medicinal mushrooms. It includes six mushrooms that are highly nutritious and offer a broad spectrum of health benefits.
Here’s a breakdown of the many powerful superfoods you’ll find in Smart Mushrooms:
- Lion’s Mane may help support cognition and mood, and its glucans also help boost immunity.*
- Turkey Tail provides protein-bound glucan polysaccharides, intensively researched for their immune benefits.*
- Cordyceps helps fight fatigue, supports immunity, helps counter stress, and benefits blood flow and oxygen utilization.*
- Reishi’s immune and inflammatory response benefits help account for its 2,000-year popularity.*
- Shiitake provides the glucan called lentinan, which helps support immunity, and may have lung, liver, cardiovascular, and gastrointestinal benefits.*
- Agaricus has a variety of glucans with immune benefits, and supports healthy blood sugar, cholesterol, and liver functions.*
Benefits of Smart Mushrooms
The mushrooms in this formula are high in protein and fiber, low in calories and sodium, and contribute many vitamins and minerals to the diet. They include glucans, unique fibers that can enhance immunity, provide antioxidant benefits, and promote healthy gut microbial balance.*
Smart Mushrooms offers substantial promise for improving memory, mood, and other cognitive functions.*
This functional, full-spectrum superfood blend features six USA-grown organic mushrooms, scientifically formulated to promote vitality, stress resistance, immune support, energy, wellness, and high-level brain performance.*
What Makes Smart Mushrooms a Smart Choice?
- A superfood powder mushroom drink formulated by Dr. Daniel Amen with a focus on brain health and immunity*
- Its mushrooms are grown organically under carefully controlled conditions
- A gluten-free product, made from mushrooms cultivated on gluten-free oats
- Its powder form is easy to use – just add to coffee, tea, soups, or smoothies
- Mushroom powder provides a larger dose than what’s possible in pills (3 grams of functional mushrooms per serving), which may increase efficacy
Note: Though they may be beneficial for many people, adaptogenic mushrooms, like lion’s mane, may not be a safe choice for everyone. Be sure to speak with your healthcare professional before eating adaptogenic mushrooms or taking them in capsule or powdered form in supplements.
The Mane Event
Transform your coffee, tea, or smoothie into a cognitive and immune-supporting drink with this full-spectrum mushroom powder. *
Smart Mushrooms – with lion’s mane and five other superfood mushrooms – can help support your energy, wellness, and high-level brain performance.*
It’s the smart choice for immune and whole-body support.*
Try it today!
At BrainMD, we’re dedicated to providing the highest purity nutrients to improve your physical health and overall well-being. For more information about Smart Mushrooms and our full list of brain healthy supplements, please visit us at BrainMD.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This content is for informational purposes only. It is not meant to substitute for medical or healthcare advice from a physician, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Consult your healthcare provider before beginning a new health regimen.
- What Is the Impact of Perfectionism on Health?
Medically Reviewed by Dr. Nicole Avena - December 5, 2023
- Here Are 5 of the Best Ways to Prevent Colds and Flus
Medically Reviewed by Dr. Nicole Avena - November 29, 2023
- How to Build Muscle At Any Age - November 22, 2023